Tuesday, November 10, 2009

a small smackerel of something sweet

i'm giving in. it has been an insanely long time since i have shared any written work, but the bug caught me. yes, the bug CAUGHT me. i think it has something to do with the fact that all the writing that i've completed for roughly the last 8 years was strict nonfiction. research stuff. clinical descriptions and the like. it's been 8 years of writing that left me unsatisfied. i am at a point in my life where i can start focusing on the mundane makeup of my day to day again. the words are flowing right now, and i love it.

for many years i have been a speaking/hearing/writing person. i love the power that people give to their words. in formal writing i ramble on, feeling like i have to give life to my subject by building it up with adjectives, give it an occupation with verbage. and yet i love brevity. i love a succinct sentence, a thought portrayed in an image, so here are some snips that i have selected. something to whet the palate.

1.

i am all that you say
driven and unsure
focused as a line of ink on the page
a smoothly defined thought
scrawled into the pages of your life

this sentence
we somehow piecemeil together
you add a word
and i come behind
punctuating the moments with meaning

2.

(a smile) managed with the corners of the mouth turned down
a drop of rain slides across the curve of the window
slowly feeling the effects of gravity
the small, tinny sounds of our laughter
joining in the still air

you are the rarest of pleasures

1 comment:

  1. RAY-CH.
    So happy that you're back to the ink. Please keep it up. I've got an RSS feed on your page, so I'll know.

    AND, the second poem reminds me of William Carlos Williams. Not a bad place to re-start.
    -drew

    ReplyDelete